Subject: RIPUL - July 18th

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:18:55 EDT

People:

1) Games next week:

July 21
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t4">Sky (4)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t6">Black (6)</A> (baseball diamond next to woods) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t1">Green (1)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t5">Maroon (5)</A> (main soccer field next to woods) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t7">Natural (7)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t8">Orange (8)</A> (baseball diamond next to road) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t2">Gold (2)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t3">Denim (3)</A> (main soccer field next to road) 

July 23
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t4">Sky (4)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t5">Maroon (5)</A> (baseball diamond next to woods) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t1">Green (1)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t6">Black (6)</A> (baseball diamond next to road) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t7">Natural (7)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t2">Gold (2)</A> (main soccer field next to woods) 
<A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t8">Orange (8)</A> vs <A HREF="http://www.cs.brown.edu/~lsh/ripul/teams.html#t3">Denim (3)</A> (main soccer field next to road) 

2) Monday games

Gold 17
Green 11
by Andre

Damn, what a nice evening for ultimate!  Anyway, Gold was eagerly 
anticipating this rematch and really wanted to jump out to an early lead.  
Unfortunately, Green would not comply and the two teams basically traded 
points until 5-5.  Gold finally managed to string a few consecutive points 
together to take half at 9-6.

The second half started out like the first half, and both teams started 
occasionally mixing in some zone defense.  Last time these teams played and 
Gold threw a zone, Green would basically just toss the disc around for 10 
minutes without turning it over --- much to the frustration of Gold --- and 
eventually wind up in the end zone.  This time Gold's zone was a little more 
effective.  But Green ran hard on D and made great cuts when they were 
manned up, and managed to keep it close up to 11-9.  After that, Gold went 
on a 6-2 run to close things out.

Highlights included the usual 2 or 3 Vet to Petros hucks, and Eric Weis 
macking a D'ed disc with his head.  Also, thanks to Josh of Green for coming 
through with the instant ice pack (again) to help an injured player.

Oh yeah, the cheers....  Well, Gold did one of the lamest cheers in history, 
and Green countered with one of the best cheers we've heard all year.  All 
in all, a fun evening.

Craisin 17  Denim 9

Sky 17 Orange 12

Sky jumped out to an early lead only to see Orange come back strong to lead 
like 7-5.  After a timeout, Sky scored the next 4 only to see Orange take half 
at 9-8.  Orange soon ran out of gas as they had like no subs and Sky turned up 
the man D and was able to convert turnovers into quick easy scores.

WEDNESDAY GAMES

Craisin 17  Naked 12
Scott Mathieu

The rain earlier in the day and the heavy highway traffic made for low 
numbers
on each team to start the game.  Each team had 8 players to start and most of
the first half was played with 6 men and 1 woman on the field.

Craisin started hot and converted many of the Naked turnovers into goals and
went up 8-1.  Naked took a time out to regroup which lead to a couple of 
goals
for them, and a 9-3 half time score.

The second half was one of trading points and small runs.  This half was much
closer than the first half.  Craisin kept trying to put Naked away, but it 
was
not to be done easily.  Melanie Morgan in her final game caught the winning
score to seal the game at 17-12.

Adam T. had at least 5 or 6 goals for Naked to keep them in it, while Craisin
got some late goals from Chris S. to help seal the victory.  Great cheers by
both teams followed.

Gold 17
Sky 11
Andre

Did anyone notice that it was so humid that the disc got wet just flying 
through the air?  Anyway, both teams were a little shorthanded at the start 
of the game.  Sky was without Mike  S. and Eric M, and Gold was without June 
(who arrived midway through the second half), Ryan W, and Sarah.  In fact, 
Gold's women were savage for the first two-thirds of the game.

Gold got off to a quick start opening up a 5-1 or maybe even 6-1 lead.  
Despite having no women subs, both Kira and Cate-o were big on both sides of 
the disc.  Especially Kira.. during a couple of stretches of the game, all 
of Gold's offense went through her.  It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say 
that she scored 50% of Gold's points.

Anyway, the score was 9-5 at half.  The second half featured a lot more zone 
defense.  There wasn't a lot of wind, but the slippery conditions made 
handling a little more treacherous than usual.  The start of the half 
featured at least 3 consecutive scores by (who else) Kira.

There were a couple of other highlights that featured people other than 
Kira.  Chip of Sky made a great layout catch for a score.  The disc was a 
little low and Chad of Gold had a great read on it and layed out, but some 
how the disc squeezed through to Chip who bobbled it but made a great second 
effort while lying on the ground to complete the pass.  Jeff of Gold also 
made a great effort to hold on to a macked hammer in particularly slippery 
conditions.  Once again, there was much bobbling, but Jeff kept his 
concentration to hold on to the disc.

In the end, Gold went on to win 17-11.  The final point was an incredibly 
long point where Sky threw a zone and forced Gold to make like a jillion 
passes.  But Gold stayed patient, didn't turn it over, and finally managed 
to zip a forehand into Paul for the win.

Ok, on to the cheers.  Does anyone do better cheers than Sky?  They should 
consider marketing their talents to other teams.  Gold cheered first to the 
tune of "purple haze" (cause it was hazy, get it?).  By Gold's standards it 
was a pretty good cheer, but we were once again put in our place by Sky, who 
not only write great cheers, but sing all harmoniously and stuff.  They sang 
to the tune of some Sting song that I don't know the title of.